- Hog Killing Day - Gid Tanner & His Skillet-Lickers
- Hog Killing Day - Gid Tanner, Clayton McMichen, Riley Puckett, Lowe Stokes & Fate Norris
- Hog Killin' Day
- Hog Killin' Days
- Hog Killing Days
- Atlanta, GA
Available on (*):
- 1928 78 rpm single (Columbia 15468-D; Part 1 & Part 2)
- 2001 CD The Skillet Lickers: Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order, Vol. 2, 1927-1928 (Document DOCD-8057, February 6, 2001; Part 1 & Part 2)
General type of music:
Topics (not including words that are part of the title):
- Unless otherwise specified, Dr. Demento plays the full version (both parts) which is about 6 minutes long, and contains four musical sections.
- From 1993 to 2002, he played an edit which was about 2:45 and contained only the first and fourth musical section, with a fade on the final section, plus edits to the dialogue.
- In 2004, he made a new edit, which is about 4:05, and contains all the musical sections, with a fade on the final section, plus edits to the dialogue.
interesting facts (click to see playlist of show on which fact was mentioned, if applicable):
- This is one of several records made by the group with music and comedy interspersed.
- Gid's group was the Skillet Lickers, so the record is often announced with that credit, even though the label lists the individual members instead of the group name, due to the other members not liking Gid getting more credit. Since that is the normal credit used on the show, and since it has been released on CD as part of The Skillet Lickers series, that credit is shown as being valid here.
- One of the Skillet Lickers (presumably Gid) uses his fiddle to imitate the sound of the dying hog.
- The short songs included as part of this record are all traditional fiddle tunes. The group also recorded some of them in full-length versions.
Also credited as:
- Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers
- Gid Tanner, Clayton McMichen, Riley Puckett, Lowe Stokes & Fate Norris
- The Skillet Lickers
- Gid Tanner & The Skillet Lickers
- Gid Tanner & The Skillet-Lickers
General type of music:
- James Gideon Tanner
- 1931 (original group)
- Gid Tanner (fiddle)
- Clayton McMichen (fiddle)
- Riley Puckett (guitar)
- Lowe Stokes (fiddle)
- Fate Norris (banjo)
New playlist search
* Note that it may be available on other releases or formats than are listed, and some releases listed may not be currently available. Generally the first release is listed, along with a commonly available release (for items that aren't out of print), and any Dr. Demento compilations on which it has appeared. Albums may be out of print in their original format but still available in another format. We suggest checking various online stores or the artist's web site (if applicable) to determine current availability.